Southern California Edison plans to lay off one-third of San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station employees before the end of the year. Edison announced Aug. 20 it intends to \u201cdownsize\u201d the staff at the closed facility by 730 workers. It said it would devise a \u201cnew organizational structure\u201d by October. The move was expected and part of the utility\u2019s ongoing general rate case, according to Mark Pocta, Division of Ratepayer Advocates program manager. Layoffs would account for spending reductions of $40 million this year, based on rate case data. The nuclear plant\u2019s workforce has been the subject of federal investigation. In 2009, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission held hearings on San Onofre\u2019s safety culture. At the time, federal regulators noted \u201cinstances of failures to follow procedural guidance during surveillance, troubleshooting, and nuclear fuel movement activities\u201d (Current, May 15, 2009). Since then, federal regulators have noted improvements. The move isn\u2019t a surprise, but its magnitude is. In the utility\u2019s general rate case, it predicted 500 layoffs. \u201cWe\u2019re going into bargaining,\u201d said Daniel Dominguez, Utility Workers Local 246 chief officer. He added that up to 800 employees are represented by the local. The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 47 hopes that its 100 members currently at San Onofre can be absorbed into other union sites \u201cif push comes to shove,\u201d according to Pat Lavin, union spokesperson. Unit 3 of the facility was shut down in January after a radioactive leak from its steam generators\u2019 tubes. Unit 2 was out for maintenance and refueling at the time and has remained closed while the company and federal regulators research the ongoing problems with its steam generators.