While not a final decision, Nuclear Regulatory Commission staff made a \u201cproposed determination\u201d that restarting San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station unit 2 \u201cinvolves no significant hazards\u201d April 10. The proposed determination could fast track a restart on Southern California Edison\u2019s timeline\u2014by June. \tAlthough the determination calls for a 30-day public comment and a 60-day term for requests for hearing, \u201cI would not conclude Edison couldn\u2019t restart the plant by June,\u201d said commission spokesperson Victor Dricks. \tAny decision to allow primary San Onofre owner Edison to restart half the plant after its nearly new steam generators showed excessive wear lies with commission staff, not the commission itself, said Dricks. \tThe restart faces major opposition in Southern California. \tThe commission proposal is \u201cdangerous and premature,\u201d Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) stated. \u201cWith 8 million people living within 50 miles of this plant, the staff proposal is beyond irresponsible.\u201d \tEdison spokesperson Jennifer Manfre said the proposed decision wasn\u2019t a lock on a restart, but was not unexpected, although she added it came a day ahead of the utility\u2019s expectations.\t \tThe majority owner of the nuclear facility is pushing hard on a restart. It claims the power is necessary for the region this summer, even though the California Independent System Operator is planning for grid reliability without unit 2\u2019s 1,050 MW. \t\u201cThe ISO is continuing with contingency planning for this summer to mitigate the loss of SONGS generation in close coordination with the industry as well as state and federal agencies,\u201d grid operator spokesperson Steven Greenlee stated. \tEdison initially proposed a restart for five months at 70 percent power to federal regulators. Then, last week, it clarified that it intends to reserve the right to restart the plant more than once over a two year period. \tNothing is simple about the potential restart. \t\u201cThe complications here are multiple,\u201d noted Shaun Burnie, Friends of the Earth nuclear campaign consultant. \tAt the federal agency, there are several coinciding issues, including a petition from Friends at the NRC\u2019s Atomic Safety & Licensing Board, as well as the agency\u2019s \u201cconfirmatory action letter\u201d process in which it\u2019s still reviewing technical engineering of any restart. \tBoth units at San Onofre haven\u2019t been online since January 2012. The $670 million steam generator replacements at the facility show excessive wear. Unit 3\u2019s steam generator ruptured and released radioactivity.