In the Los Angeles region, desks shook and computer screens rocked as a 5.4 magnitude earthquake struck the morning of Tuesday, July 29. The quake was centered in Chino Hills. It was the first sizeable temblor in the area since the Northridge quake in 1994. Phone lines were jammed as friends and relatives checked up on each other, but the power grid never missed a beat after the 11:42 a.m. shaker. The Los Angeles Department of Water & Power maintained normal operations, according to muni spokesperson Joe Ramallo. The California Independent System Operator reported no interruptions of service in its control area either. There were a few who suffered minor injuries, mostly in the crush of people who ran from one high rise building. Property damage was light in the sprawling area. Officials credited the minor consequences of the quake to the region\u2019s building standards and level of preparedness. The California Independent System Operator reported no transmission outages due to the earthquake. The gas distribution system was another story with local power outages, according to reports. A gas pipeline owned by Kinder Morgan shut down for testing, post earthquake. Neither of the state\u2019s operating nuclear plants shut down due to the quake, but the Nuclear Regulatory Commission did note that it was investigating the San Onofre plant the day after the shaking hit. As the week progressed temps wavered as well as demand. CAISO\u2019s initial forecast for Tuesday was 37,839 MW, but the grid operator lowered it to 37,442 MW. On Wednesday the grid operator started with a forecast of 37,628 MW but revised it to 38,591 MW. The peak load was well above that, hitting 38,700 MW. Thursday\u2019s peak was below that at 38,240 MW. The Los Angeles Department of Water & Power experienced peak demand over the past week on July 25 at 5,018 MW. Loads for the coming week are expected to be normal for this time of year, said muni spokesperson Carol Tucker. Sacramento Municipal Utility District\u2019s highest load for the last week was 2,473 MW, which occurred July 26 at 6 p.m. \u201cNothing unusual on the outage front,\u201d said Dace Udris, muni spokesperson.